Sunday, August 21, 2016

The One Before the First Day

I'll try and keep this one short, y'all.

So, as some of you know, I am starting 2nd grade this year. At first, I was like "WHAAAAAT?" I was bummed because I thought I would get another try at perfecting my craft in 1st grade. Changing grade levels is like starting over. You're thinking, "whatever, Ms. K. It's just one grade level." OH YEAH WELL...yes, it is. However, the standards are more in-depth, they're expected to do more, AND they're taller. *Cue collective gasp*



Yes, it's not as stressful as a jump to 5th, but I was worried none-the-less. The build-up over the summer wasn't great either. I was by myself with my brain, and that never leads to fields of pink flowers.

Fast forward to now, and I think I'm slightly excited. Over the past week, I've gotten to know my new team better and try to grasp this new grade level. I'm sure I'm going to struggle-bus it here and there. I know I'm going to beat myself up about things. Guys, it's me. It's going to happen. The piece of mind I have is that there are 5 wonderful people to fall back on (not to mention my teammates from last year that are still super).

Shameless plug for myself.

I will say that my ultimate fear is that I've forgotten how to teach. It sounds crazy, but it's been 2 months! I'm rusty, man. What if I get in there and I sound like a dufus? What if I get in there and they go Lord of the Flies and select the smallest as their leader to rule the campus?

He looks like he could do it.

I hope I don't sweat through my shirt like I did last year. I hope I feel more confident. I hope my stomach will stop churning. I hope I survive the day. 

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.


P.S. I made these cute birthday cups. I absolutely cannot take credit for this idea, but I can take credit for asking Starbucks to donate these cups to me. I have 3 birthdays in the first two weeks of school, so I figured these would be necessary right meow. Click here to grab the free stickers I found to label the cups. 

Inside I put: 
-a crazy straw
-a fancy pencil
-a glow stick
-gummies
-a googly eye ring




Until tomorrow,

1 comment:

  1. You are going to be wonderful! So excited to have you on our team.��

    ReplyDelete