Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The One Before the Last Day

First of all, let me tell you how things with my "new" kiddo have been. He has really been fine. Great, I would say. He has gotten his work done, he's done what I've asked, and he has seamlessly transitioned into being one of my kids. Honestly, he has required the least of my attention these last two weeks. Any issues he had in his other class have been eradicated. Now, this week he has certainly become more comfortable. That or the crazies from the last week of school have gotten to him too. (Highly likely -- it's like wildfire.) For example, today he tried to tell me a kid at his table said a bad word, the "D" word. Sometimes I don't even want to know. The kid he tattled on started bawling and everyone else at his table said he didn't do it. Insert stern talking to about how I don't allow dishonesty in my room. I've realized that his area of improvement would be using his words. Less. He tends to say little snippy things that requires the other kids to tattle on him about what he said every 5 minutes. He's not the only one, but it was rather frequent today.

Pause for a second....PLEASE STOP THE TATTLING! MAKE IT GO AWAY!

Resume play. The most heartwarming moment I have had with him so far really makes me love that I got to know this kid. Really and truly. Last Friday I was helping him into his car. I said a quick reminder to him about how we'd have a long weekend and I'd see him on Tuesday while he hopped in.

"Man, Ms. Krastin. I'm going to miss you over the weekend."
 You could have mopped me up with rag because I was a puddle. To see this kid thrive in my room has given me the best feeling. I don't know if it was simply moving him away from the other kid (which is a huge factor), but I'd like to think I had something to do with it.

Since I last posted I've had a crazy 10 (school) days:


  • I had two kids EASILY admit to pooping in the boys' urinals. 
  • I had the WORST parent meeting I've ever had. 
  • I had a kid cuss in front of TWO classes.
  • I had one of my kids slap ANOTHER kid in the face during soccer. Because he took the ball way. In soccer. BAH.
  • Every kid has slowly lost their mind and have become more chatty and "hard of hearing" than ever before.
  • I've had to take down all of my hard work from setting up my room.
  • I had two teachers come in to inspect if my room was being cleaned out...before the last week of school!!
I just keep sighing. I have been counting down the days and laughing along with my coworkers. I have been exhausted beyond belief and I have wanted each day to end faster than the one before.

But...tomorrow is my last day. Wait!! Slow down, turn around, stop time! The LAST day of my FIRST year. If you had told me in October that I would be here at my last day, I would have laughed in your face. I really didn't know if I would make it here, but I did! It's bittersweet. The kids and I truly need a break from each other, but all I want to do is hug them closer and shove more math facts and sight words into their brain before they wriggle away. It doesn't seem like enough time! I'll be in second grade next year with their new teachers.The worst part for me is that I'll find out firsthand if what I taught them was enough...or not. Incredibly scary. Wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart. 

Alas, it's all about the journey. And truly, I like learning new things. I also seem to be a glutton for punishment because the new thing is a new grade level. You know what's really comforting though? I feel like I have two teams to support me. The love from my first grade team never seems to stop when it comes to helping me move things from my room, using things with my kids, and venting. The second grade team is already coming to me with team trips over the summer, things to use next year, and general excitement that I will be teaching with them. 

I am truly blessed to be at the school that I am and to be surrounded by the people that work there. What more could I ask for?



No comments:

Post a Comment