Monday, January 23, 2017

The One After the Hiatus

Yeah, I know. It's been a while. Since the first day of school, a while.

Trust me, I had a lot of blog posts in my head. They were great...they just never made it here.

I figured today was a good day to blog because OH MY GOODNESS, THE LITTLE HUMANS HAVE LOST THEIR MINDS!

I'm sorry, let me rephrase that: THE LITTLE HUMANS ARE A BREADTH AWAY FROM REBELLION.



Okay, okay. Maybe not that bad. In the grand scheme of things, they really weren't horrible. I just questioned who was alive today.

I've got to tell you guys, my kids are SO bright. I have some amazing thinkers in my room. That's why today almost made my head spin.

Let me set the tone here:

*In math small groups today, we were talking about shapes. Simple things like, how many sides does a triangle have? Make me a triangle! How many sides does a quadrilateral? Make me a quadrilateral!

Cue. Blank. Stares.

Some of them weren't even TRYING to make the shapes. All it needs is 3 sides, 4 sides, 5 sides. It wasn't even a mystery! BAH!

*Transitioning into Language Arts, we were reading a new story, and the kids could follow along in their book. I stop to check for comprehension. "What happened before the end of the game?" 

Cue. Blank. Stares.

Mind you, I had just read what happened...DOUBLE BAH! It was so strange!! I even had some kids not even flipping the pages at the right time, obviously not following along, and those kids can definitely read and follow along!

*Transitioning to spelling: "Okay, guys. Let's go ahead and create our spelling list." 
"Awwwww." 
"Well, if you guys feel that way, then I can give you a list where you don't get to choose your words."
One child: "OKAY!"


Cue my book dropping.

It would be different if it hadn't been toot-y. It was definitely toot-y. Then we went to the carpet and I swear every time I opened my mouth to talk, I had 4 kids start talking. 

I felt like such an anomaly today. Was it me? Was I giving off a vibe? It just seemed like their brains weren't awake and they forgot how to do school.

We've had "A Case of the Mondays" in our room before. Mondays are hard for me! That's why Mondays are very flexible. Today was just out of the ordinary for them.

Then comes writing time at the end of the day. We were introducing taking a Big Idea and zooming into a small moment. There was a bit of a struggle organizing the Big Idea cards and Small Moments underneath them, but we got it figured out. 

We spent some time writing them down and talking about how it's like we're taking a magnifying glass to a Big Idea. Then we're getting closer and closer until we have a specific moment. It's like we're writing a chapter in our autobiography for everybody to read, too. 

One of my kids said, "Yeah, Ms. K. It's like we're not just going to Dallas. We're going to a Cowboys game and then we're like doing something at the Cowboy's game. Or we're going to the Dallas Aquarium." 

Eep! By George, they get it!

And then we finished the day with reading Harry Potter and all was right with the world again. 

It just reiterates that we need to focus on the small moments. The more we look back at everything we feel went wrong, the less excited we get for the next day of amazing opportunity. 

With that, I'm out. Enjoy your day, friends. 

~Ms. K

No comments:

Post a Comment